There’s likely no more frustrating a sight than that of the shadowy bedroom ceiling at 2 a.m – for the third night in a row. Some of us spend hours gazing in that general direction, waiting, wishing, and desperately willing our bodies to finally drop into blessed slumber. A good night’s sleep, in fact, is pretty much at the core of your physical, psychological and spiritual health. So when you don’t get one, you really are missing out on more than just a few zzz’s.
A pharmaceutical sleep just isn’t the same as a natural one. Besides the risk of dependency, when you rely on chemical aids, you are still forced to spend a good chunk of time waiting for them to kick in, and you wake up the next morning feeling groggy, dull and drugged. But there is a natural way to encourage a good night’s sleep – using the positive aromatherapy power of essential oils. Many people find that developing an evening routine using essential oil aromatherapy helps them to relax, release tension, and prepare their body for a good solid night’s sleep – without the pills.
Which essential oils support better sleep?
- Lavender: A sweet and woody spice that has natural power to support your body in better sleep.
- Roman Chamomile: A mellow vanilla-and-apple scent to calm overstimulation and release stress.
- Cedarwood: A warm, earthy, live-wood scent that is both grounding and calming.
- Marjoram: Herbal power to help you release deeply held stress and balance your mood.
- Bergamot: A sweet and mellow citrus that creates a warm energy and restful ambiance.
- Vetiver: A delicate perfumed-wood scent that works to ground and calm physical and emotional angst.
- Frankincense: An ancient remedy that helps to release stress, relax your mind, and calm your emotions
- Restful Sleep: A combination of the best essential oils for sleep – carefully crafted to help you unwind, relax, and release tension so that when the sun rises, you can too.
- Kids Sleep Well: A natural solution to change a restless night into a relaxing one. Apply it to the chest and back and massage to help resistant kids move into a more restful state.
- De-Stress: Create a habit of self-care with this blend of Sweet Orange, a twist of Lime, warm Coriander, grounding Cedarwood, and a hint of vanilla. Use to overcome nervous fatigue, to balance external pressure, and to soothe emotional stress.
How do I use them?
More Tips for better sleep.
- Power down all screens 30 minutes before going to sleep. Try reading with a small lamp to limit overstimulation and you body’s exposure to bright light.
- Don’t eat anything heavy or spicy close to bedtime – light snacks only! Enjoy a relaxing cup of herbal tea or hot milk at bedtime.
- If you find your mind traveling in circles as you try to fall asleep, try listening to a guided meditation to help you relax and unwind.
**What do you do when you can’t sleep? Share your thoughts below!